Jen Rolph text messaged me last night asking about signing books to teach Kami. Well, anyone who knows me knows that text messages are way to small for my soapboxes. Especially when it comes to sign language.
I prefer DVDs to books when it comes to learning sign language. (No matter what age.) There is a danger with books that you could reproduce the sign incorrectly and then you are just learning gestures.
The moms in my sign classes were always asking me for recommendations for sign videos so I am always doing research on this. Every 6 months or so I will search the library and Amazon for anything new. In my opinion the best bet for baby and child sign DVDs is the Signing Time collection. (Brenley has a link to the web site on the right side of her blog.) The woman that does Signing Time was a musician when she found out that her first daughter was deaf. She shifted gears and went to school to learn ASL. Her programs incorporate music and actual American Sign Language. (Many baby sign programs dumb down the signs to make them easier for babies and children to do. This offends me on many levels, I have watched many children, my daughter and nieces among them, learn these signs as early as 6 months. As a sign interpreter, I see the set backs deaf people have when they did not learn sign early, learning "home signs" and gestures from lazy parents.)
Books are a great way to help parents remember the signs when they are not watching the videos to help reinforce them throughout the day. Any sign book that says: American Sign Language on it will be great. I would get an adult sign book before a book for children, you are going to get more instruction and fewer pictures of children doing the signs incorrectly.
I hope this helps. When you guys are here in May, I can teach you some signs that will be useful for Kami to use everyday.
Still Editing...
17 years ago
6 comments:
Thanks Candis! I appreciate your soapbox speech. Kami is 6 months now and I was thinking gosh I should be teaching her sign language by now, but it has been awhile and many of the basic signs I forget.
I have to stand on the soapbox next to Candis. 1st- I too prefer DVD's to books (for all except cook books). 2nd- I still prefer making up signs, this way I know what the signs mean too. 3rd- Adult sign book? I know a few adult signs, but always eager to learn more!
Not that kind of "Adult" Josh!!! Just not kids. I think you know enough of those kinds of signs for now. Scott Gaerte can teach you more when you are here for the wedding. Meg, you may want to learn some of those too, before the wedding. =)
Hi Candis,
I just picked up "Baby Signing for Dummies" at the library today. And then I read your blog. I will start looking for some DVD's. Chloe is sooo ready to communicate with us. Callan's laugh is so cute, by the way!!
Kirsten Mezey
LA LA LA LA LA LA !!!!! (while covering ears)
Meg, you might want to cover your eyes instead. We are talking about signs. =)
Post a Comment