A few thing have happened lately that have made me think about this issue. One was that I just got over the flu. This is the most sick I have been in a long time. Thanks to everyone that helped me out. Anyway, I did not get the flu shot because I was pregnant.
Today a received an email from a friend about vaccinations. And since having Callan, I have been more concerned about Autism. (About 1 in 150 boys are on the spectrum.) So, I am posting a poll about vaccines. I want this to be without judgment, I know it is a hot topic. Vote, once and be as honest as possible.
Thanks.
Still Editing...
17 years ago
20 comments:
yes. hot topic. they boys got flu shots for the first time this year. mainly because g had some major health problems for the past 2 years, and he started school, which brings home so much crap. i'd rather have them be protected than do nothing. and there was another study that just came out that said there isn't enough evidence to support that shots mess up your kids. but then you think "is it just a cover up?" UGH. i DO trust our pediatrician. she saved g's life, so there is that too. and callen is already smiling and interacting, right? don't worry yourself about him being autistic. ok, i'm done. sorry for the long comment.
another hot topic: circumcision... to cut or not to cut
and i'm glad you are better. sick mommys are NO fun!
This is such a tough one for me. My mom is a nurse and I grew up thinking that doctors and medicine were the greatest things on the face of the earth. I still do respect them and am thankful for modern medicine for many different reasons. However, I can't ignore the fact that autism is now an epidemic in our country. I also wonder why so many children have food allergies now (including my own son). Why are there so many cases of autism and so many cases of serious and dangerous food allergies? I have to be suspicious of vaccines for this reason. It doesn't seem like a coincidence to me. I did a revised vaccine schedule for my 2 boys, where they never got more than two shots at once, and they didn't start until they were 4 months old. But I regret now that I did it at all. Elyse will not be getting any vaccines, at least for now. I have read enough and experienced enough with my own boys to believe vaccines can harm the immune system.
I recently came across these graphs, which gave me even more comfort in deciding against vaccines for now. Disease was already declining dramatically before vaccines were introduced:
Vaccine and Disease Graphs
Ultimately, each parent and family has to decide for themselves. I can sympathize with both sides of the argument, and I can understand why people would want to do one or the other.
Fortunately, our family doctor is very understanding and even supportive of our decision. She told me in all honesty that we ("we" being herself and her fellow doctors) have NO IDEA which way is the safest. There is research supporting both sides, so how can we know for sure? It was good hearing that straight from the mouth of a doctor. She has hesitated to give her own children vaccines, and has waited on many of them.
Aloha from Hawaii!
This is Dr. Seth Gambee, an old family friend. My older sister Sarah, Dana's friend, gave me this blog site.
I have 2 children, a 6-year old girl, and a 18-month old boy. My wife and I decided not to vaccinate our 2 kids. We're about to have another little boy next month, and we will not vaccinate him either.
Other than the occasional snotty nose, our kids are happy, strong, thriving and full of life.
I believe every parent should have the right to make this decision on their own, without worrying about what their friends, school, churches, etc. are going to say. It's too important a topic to be pressured into.
My children have been refused treatment (regular checkups) by at least 5 different pediatricians in Oregon and Hawaii, simply because they were not vaccinated.
In my mind, this is very prejudicial.
From a medical standpoint, the basic premise of a vaccine is flawed. The body's first 3 lines of natural defense- the skin, the mucous membranes, and the lymph nodes- are bypassed by a vaccine shot. The toxin goes right into the blood stream.
How is the body supposed to develop an effective immune response when it's natural defenses aren't allowed to do their job?
That's like asking a Quarterback not to be sacked, and then taking away his offensive linemen.
A baby's immune system is just not developed enough or strong enough to handle vaccines, especially at an early age.
There's a reason why most Japanese children don't receive vaccines until they are at least 2 years old.
Did you know that the cost of a DPT shot (one of the most common vaccines) back in 1982 was just $.11/shot? Just 5 years later, the cost was $11/shot, and the vaccine company was spending $8 out of every shot on lawsuits from families whose children had either died or been harmed by the vaccines.
At any rate, it should be the parent's choice. not the school's choice, and not the government' choice. Whatever you decide to do, educate yourselves, and don't let anyone try and force you to do anything you're not comfortable with.
It's YOUR child.
Hi Candy - your kids are so cute! Dana keeps me updated on you and yours and it is great.
We don't vaccinate. However, because we made the choice to not vaccinate we had to make other choices that are actually harder to do on a daily basis (harder than getting the shots.) You have to consistently be strengthening your children's immune systems with good, wholesome food as well as no high fructose corn syrup, limited sugar (I say limited because it is impossible, at least for me, to never give my kids sugar! but the less the better) Limited processed foods, white flour etc. There are a ton of things you can do to strengthen their immune systems.
If it was the law to vaccinate, I would try to wait until they were at least 4 yrs where they are much more capable of handling the doses without compromising their long (or in some cases, short) term health. (Remember, this is just my opinion - don't want to start any wars here)
I have no problem with vaccinations were we to travel to a foreign country, but for now we are not traveling.....I'm really simplifying this, but this is a blog, not a research paper......
I would never tell anyone NOT to immunize because I don't know their history, lifestyle etc. It is a big headache to feed your kids healthy stuff and it is also more expensive, but well worth it, imo.
I've seen a lot of very sad stories (not everyday stories) but enough to make me really look into what we were going to do.
It is a big decision and everyone just has to go with what they are comfortable doing. Good luck! Isn't it fun and hard to be a mom?!!
Sarah
We have 6 children and do not vaccinate the orthodox way. This decision came after a lot of research and prayer. It is interesting that whenever there is a breakout at the local schools (whooping cough, chicken pox, influenza or whatever)98% of the children who catch the 'disease' are the ones who HAVE BEEN vaccinated against it. Immunizations are not a fail/safe. They shouldn't take the place of living the word of wisdom. It will get harder and harder to get a viaccination for every new strain of every new disease...so a strong immune system is the best thing no matter what you decide.
I feel very strongly FOR vaccination. And what Rose, Aaron, etc. said is true. I didn't hear about the recent study, but I do know that there is no evidence that says vaccination causes autism. They have even tried to find a link because of all the controversy, and haven't. Luckily polio is not a problem today...because the development of the polio vaccination. Many countries face high rates of disease because they lack vaccinations.
Facts about vaccines:
They take about 5-10 years to develop, they go through clinical trials and have to be at LEAST 80% efficacious (so yes, sometimes you might still get the flu) and have rare adverse reactions (no more than 1 in 100,000)
I think it should be required. It is a personal decision, but at the same time illness can affect more than just the ill person. The government, school, whoever has a responsibility to protect the public.
Here is the LDS church's stance:
(cut and paste, sorry I don't know how to hyperlink it)
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=889b5991d66db010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1
If you want more, let me know because I definitely have more. Sorry if that was strong, but kind of like how Heather feels about charter vs public schools, that is how I feel about immunizations.
This is Dr. Seth Gambee again:
The press release is all over the internet, "Government admits Vaccines cause Autism". Here's the link to just one of dozens on Google:
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/54119
For every study that tries to "prove" that the decline in disease is because of the introduction of vaccines, I'll show you 10 studies that show that the decline in disease is related to improvements in sanitation and diet, and that major diseases had been declining for decades before vaccines were even introduced.
That's one of the biggest misconceptions out there about vaccines.
I'd also have to disagree on the 'facts' of vaccines-
1. They do not take 5-10 years to develop. The majority are pushed through the system within 1-2 years at the most, well before any long-term testing can be done. This is why the pharmaceutical companies insist on their disclaimers with all their vaccines that they are not liable for any adverse effects.
2. They are not required to be 80% efficient. Even if they were, or even if the drug companies did take 5-10 years to develop and test them (which they don't) how can you measure long-term effects? Just one example: how can you explain the 100's of studies that are surfacing showing the strong link between childhood vaccines and adult-onset diabetes, a disease that costs Americans over $100 BILLION a year?
No offense Meg, but I don't understand how you could say that it's a personal decision, but it should be required.
Why should it be required? If a parent immunizes their child, and if vaccines work, their child should be protected, even if they hang around a child that isn't immunized, right? Isn't that why they got vaccinated?
And why should you have the right to tell me what I should or shouldn't do with my child?
I would never claim the right to "require" another parent to do something to their child that they didn't agree with.
If you decide to vaccinate your child, I give you my full-support to make that choice for yourself and your child.
By accepting that "right" for yourself, and asking me to respect it, I expect the same respect from you.
Please don't ask the government or the schools to defend your rights, and then deny mine as a parent.
candis
this is why no one else commented on the issue-it is very heated. My personal opinion is the same as Meg's-vaccines do a lot more good than harm-(she's in public health so I am not surprised that this is her stance. and to clarify-Heather HATES charter schools!)If you choose not to vaccinate then that is the choice you make for you and your family.
Seth-I noticed you said that you are a Dr? do you find a lot of resistance in the medical community to vaccinate?
Also on a side note-christian is so bummed he didn't get to catch up with you in Kona. He found out you lived there the day he flew home!
Candis-should we talk politics now :)
i am very PRO immunization! now..what jem said....let's talk politics,or natural childbirth, or circumcision. cock-fighting anyone?!
I liked arguing about who did the dishes growing up and Dana hiding the cookies under the bed a lot better.
i think i'm with ryan on that one
Dana-Scott loves that you said "cock-fighting". Classic!
Can't we all just get along????
How about everyone just does what they think is best, and don't try to brainwash anyone else. And if our kid's get sick, guess who's fault it is?
Goodness, with all these Minors around, I almost feel like I'm sitting in a blue and white Van with a TV in it, skipping deacon's quorum.
Ryan, young kidd, I'm gonna call you , it's been way too long!
Critty, budinker, too bad I was in Vegas while you were out here. How long's it been? 'bout 6 hour? What's your email or phone #??
I consulted with Dr Seuss. He claims a weekly dose of green eggs and ham is sufficient (Sam disagrees).
Seth
christian.minor@jnli.com
303 916 7329
josh-your hilarious!
Seth
I dont know if you got my email but its rcmhe@hotmail.com
phone# 801-558-1118
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0802/27/lkl.01.html
Transcript of the Larry King Show 2/27/08. My friend just told me about this. You can also watch at least part of it onvideo on the Larry King/CNN website.
Why are charter schools bad???
Candice,
Good questions about vaccinations. If you would like to dialogue let me know. Ask Grandma Judie for my e-mail. For some reason, her computer won't send or receive e-mails from me. I call it the "Mother-in-law" block.
I think that your blog is cool. Is that too eighties?
I hope you don't mind me reading your blog. I also struggled with this issue. I almost didn't vac.
I read books, both pro and con and decided that there was going to be risk either way. I pray and ask my mom to pray over ever shot that goes into their little bodies. The Lord know I'm doing the best I know how.
Post a Comment